Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Religion

Faith is one aspect that highly influences the lives of Ticos. The majority of people here are Catholic, but there are also many Christians (Protestants), as well as Muslims and others. Families go to church regularly, and my family especially, says the rosary weekly. One thing that really interests me is that many teenagers are exploring, discovering, and realizing their faith, something not a lot of teenagers do back home.
A week ago, I went with some friends to a day camp that talked about exploring faith. It was actually pretty fun, I went with a group from my church in San Juan and there we had mass, concerts, and games. It was a way for young people in Costa Rica to connect with others and become closer. People were singing, dancing, and rejoicing. It was a different way to experience the culture here, and learn something new about the people.
Not many people are confident about their faith when they are teenagers. Questions are always arising, you are embarrassed, and you don't know if you actually believe. The thing I really liked about this camp, was there were so many people who believed. And I'm not just talking about Catholics but every type of religion; the people here are very confident about what they believe in. That is something I have learned here, to become more confident in what I believe. 

This is one of the bands that played. The sign above says, "Faith is the strong transformation of my life".

The camp was held in Tres Rios Cartago. Here is my friend Kristel, Diego and I.

No comments:

Post a Comment