Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Last adventures and goodbyes

As crazy as it sounds, I am finally home, and my Costa Rica adventure has ended. Yes, it went by fast! It's crazy to think that just two weeks ago I was sitting at home with my Costa Rican family watching t.v and just hanging out. I had the time of my life, and I know I wouldn't change it for the world, because it has shaped me to be the person I am today, and I really like who I have become.

June seemed to go by very quickly, and I ended up doing a lot in June. I had my last AFS camp, where I said goodbye to almost all the other exchange students. That was very hard to do, because I had grown close with a few of them. Other than saying goodbye the camp was nice, we went to Punta Leona, and hung out there for the weekend on the beaches, having volleyball "tournaments", and eating a whole bunch!
Me, Neels (Germany), Hans (USA), Hannah (Germany), and Keiko (USA)

All the exchange students who had been there for a year

Kieko, Erica (Italy), Hanna (Sweden), and I.

Playa Blanca.

One of the many volleyball tournaments we had.

Another very fun/thrilling thing I did was go BUNGEE JUMPING! That was a life achievment, jumping off a 250 foot bridge. You have to have a lot of confidence in yourself and a lot of trust in the people who are running the place. I went with Hans and Kieko from the US, and with Josh from Austria to a little place in Naranjo where we jumped. It was honestly one of the coolest things I have ever done in my entire life. It feels like you are flying, and you just have to jump. I guess the youngest person who jumped was 4 years old, which is kinda crazy to think about!
My friend Keiko and I right before we jumped off


And of course, all the goodbye parties and saying goodbye. That was one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life, saying goodbye to my friends and family. My last day of school, Friday, was hard. I said goodbye to a lot of close friends, and just knowing that I might not see them again made me feel pretty crummy! The next day, at 6:30 am I was woken up to by my close friends singing to me in front of my window with a big sign. That was very cute and nice and just made me feel like I will have life long bonding friendships with these girls! Then later at night there was a going away party for all the exchange students and families at my friend Hanna's house. That is where I cried the most, it was unbelievably hard saying goodbye to my friends Maria, Nicole and Yuri, not to mention the exchange students. I am really going to miss them, especially my friend Hannah from Germany, she is like a sister to me and I really hope I can go visit her someday. Then, the last day, Sunday was fathers day so my family and I went to la casa de los abuelos, and there I said goodbye to all my family. Goodbyes are tough, I wont even start to explain how horrible Monday morning was, but I know I will be seeing them again, very soon. I've made relationships with these people, and they are lifelong. I love them as if they were my real family, and I know they feel the same way about me. 
Me with my friend Colleen and Chini

Hannah and I


Maria, Nicole and I

Hanna, me, Maria and Yuri


My Mami and I
Yeahh... Costa Rican money definitely wins.

My cousin Isaac and I.

And, so how am I doing back home? It feels nice to be home. I know I've only been here for a week, so I still haven't gone through culture shock or anything, but I talk with my family a lot, and yes, I do miss them, I really miss them. But I know I will be seeing them soon, so I'm going to take my life in my hands and just let it go the way it wants. I am really pleased to say that I did accomplish my year abroad, it was amazing. I met people I will never forget, and I made memories that will be with me my entire life. I am so happy that I did this, and I am looking forward to the next time I visit Puriscal.



No comments:

Post a Comment